Monday, January 3, 2011

Relaxing Into Hopelessness

I have written the last two posts with the knowledge that they are centered around an optimistic time with the two cancers that have crept into my body's functioning. I dodged the bullet of impending death and hopelessness, so to speak.  I wanted an uplifting Oprah-esque narrative that told of hope in the face of despair which would coincide with the holiday and natural cycles of reborn light.

Yet I am keenly aware that this dodging of the hopelessness bullet was an illusion, and I must continue to work with the truth, rather than the temporary illusion. I turned to Pema Chodron's When Things Fall Apart to reorient me to both death and hopelessness as the motivation for my awakening in the hospital:

"When we talk about hopelessness and death, we're talking about facing facts.  No escapism...Giving up hope is encouragement to stick with yourself, to make friends with yourself, to not run away from yourself, to return to bare bones, no matter what is going on.  Fear of death is the background the whole thing...But if we totally experience hopelessness, giving up all hope of alternatives to the rpesent moment, we can have a joyful relationship with our lives, an honest, direct relationship, one that no longer ignores the reality of impermanence and death." 

That is precisely what led to my spiritual experience and resulting peace....

Today and Wednesday I return to Sloan-Kettering.  These visits have dominated my life for several months and will continue to do so.  The first time I heard of S-K it was in the context of an acquaintance going there for treatment who later died.  I associated anything to do with S-K with death and suffering.  It was, to me, the building of the walking dead.  Whenever I heard that someone had cancer, it was usually whispered, perhaps with the same underlying fear and panic that the inhabitants of the pre-modern world associated with lepers, and which the 1980s associated with AIDS sufferers.  The response from the recipients of the news of diagnosed cancer in someone they knew would be a bowed and shaking head followed by the muttered "poor bastard."

The first time I walked into the Valley Hospital Cancer Center in Paramus, NJ I dissociated.  This isn't my place, I silently affirmed as my body leaned away from the front entrance.  Not me, not here, I am not meant to have this health problem...Yet once inside I met caring, sweet, emotionally validating nurses, staff, and physicians.  I felt that this was not a charnal house, but a house of hope and promise.

My next stop was S-K and Dr. Sacchini who offered a second opinion about the breast cancer.  S-K was well beyond my imaginings.  It is decorated so welcomingly with waterfalls, soft oils and lithographs, and a color scheme reflecting the necessary polarities of hope and despair.  Too cheery with tropical colors would offend me if I were receiving a terminal diagnosis; too bland would pull me down into fretfull ruminations of bad news  Each floor has Internet, beverages and snacks, and a staff that is super-competent.  Their IT is incomparable....I went for a sophisticated biopsy only to have Dr. Sacchini reading me the results within the hour. The physician at Valley was awed when I told her this; she said that such a reading would have taken 3-4 days. 

My allegiance switched permanently to S-K, and for the 2 hospital stays and the biopsy I was cotninually astonished by the superb care of my body and mind, if not my spirit.  From tea and cookies served by a uniformed food service worker at 4:30 to the extensive and yummy meal selections, from the spacious hiospital rooms to the wondrous 15th floor activities center with 2 story windows overlooking York Avenue, from the nurses and physicians to the lady who emptied my garbage can, I could not have asked for more attentive or caring staff.

But consider where I was for those two hospuital stays---where women were recovering from surgery and then released....I never saw a death, never encountered a terminally ill patient.  The ICU is on another floor.  So for a while, a stay at S-K came to mean an average hospital event, except that everyone there has cancer.  And that also numbed and reassured me.  If everyone has cancer, it becomes the norm of your experience.  No more walking dead.  We all face the same peril.

This next time, which I will find out about on Wednesday, I will be on the 6th floor with other lung cancer patients.  When I told the nurse that my lung cancer was at Stage Ia, she teared up...She had never met anyone with beginning earliest and treatable stage lung cancer before.  So I know that I will be amongst very sick cancer patients, and my lessons in hopelessness will be even more grounded.

"Death and hopelessness provide proper motivation---proper motivation for living an insightful, compassionate life....We're always trying to deny...getting old, getting sick, losing what we love---we don't see those events as natural occurances."

Yes, I have dodged the cancer bullet.... for now.  That says nothing about what I can  hold onto, what the possible addiction to "my good luck" can lead to if more cancer is detected.  The awakening that I experienced must not be pushed aside by any temporary mindset of victory.

"Relaxing with the present moment, relaxing with hiopelessness, relaxing with death, not resisting the fact that things end, that things pass, that things have no lasting substance, that everything is changing all the time----that is the basic message."

5 comments:

  1. Lynne, I resonate in peace with you if you understand where I am personally coming from. Many times we are obliged to our friends and family to be committed to an optimistic stance which may or may not be our reality. Peacefulness comes from embracing the truth. This does not mean that all outcomes are not true, good, and beautiful in the end. Much love and grace to you. Prayers, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Laurie,

    I weould not disagree with what you have written at all. My journey and experiences come through an Integral lens that is my perspective alone. It is one person's 1st person perspective when "all bets are off" and when transformative ipenings are not avoided. In our Integral Mentors and Ministers program, we are very careful to honor what others actually want from our services. No one should ever be pushed to enter into a transformative tornado.

    Indeed, I agree with your last sentence as well. My lesson was that there will be no ending to my saga that is NOT true, good, and beautiful.

    Thank you for your offering.
    Blessings,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynne, Thank you for sharing this. Through your words, I feel it easier to keep you present in my mind and heart.

    I am reminded of the time Rollie and I almost perished on Ken's driveway. Did I ever tell you about that? The car? The cliff? It was middle of winter. There was ice. I took that first sharp turn too quickly. All of a sudden, we were two wheels off the ground. Probably a hundred foot drop.

    We sat there for a long moment and felt what I can only describe as... God.

    Then our brains kicked in and we determined our best chance of escape. (Rollie had to climb over me and out the window so as not tilt the vehicle toward his side. I quickly and gingerly followed.)

    I'm imagining that moment extended from its maybe 5 minutes to your weeks and months, and all the contexts and scenarios and complications you describe.

    You're going into states where we all must go, sooner or later, often without warning... (and where in some real sense, we always already are). But you're illuminating them with rare depth, candor, and the unfolding of a lifetime's hard-won integral insight. A profound gift, these words of yours are -- as is, of course, their author.

    Thank you for sharing your story with us, and for your continued love and friendship.

    Love,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Marco,

    I vividly remember you telling me/us the story about you and Rollie---it has stayed fresh with me over the years, that moment of not-knowing, the GAP between breaths, all sense of the routine of life knocked asunder, an infinity of possibilities frozen in time.

    It is so reassuring to know that you are still "out there", as we jointly share some incredible memories.

    my love and a deep bow for having you in my life,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete