Tuesday, January 25, 2011

No Death, No Fear by Thich Nhat Hanh

No Death, No Fear by Thich Nhat Hanh

This book has become a primer for me as I face dual cancer threats. I could not have traversed through this nightmare-ish thicket without a 4 quadrant approach beginning first with the excellent medicasl treatment at Sloan-Kettering. But as we are all aware, when we go deeply into the scientific protocols of the LR and UR, the more we encounter the unknowable and the shades of gray. I will begin this blog by referencing my health challenges and then enlarging the applicability of this book's philosophy to every oen of us, and particularly to those who find resonance with Integral spirituality.

With my twin cancers, I find myself outside of the heavily researched protocol that dictates that I begin chemo 4 weeks after mastectomy. This was not possible with me, as I had two surgeries after, and now I am protocol-less. So here we enter into the art of medicine. My medical oncologist, DeenaGgraham, had nothing to tell me about my chances for survival with or without chemo, and will have to assemble her team to try to creatively assemble a treatment plan.

I presume that next Monday I will hear her best guess for as longer life span, but I also presume that any statistics she offers me will be a random median statistic which will not be at all predictive of my actual chances to stay alive for 5 years or more.

The best I can predict for my own well-being is fiound on p. 1:

"When conditions are sufficient we manifest and when conditions are not sufficient we go into hiding. "It's as simple as that."
"The Buddha has a very different understanding of our existence [than fears of our annihilation]. It is the underwstanding that birth and death are notions. They are not real. The fact that we think they are true makes a powerful illusion that causes our suffering.
"Buddha taught that there is no birth, there is no death; there is no coming, there is no going; there is no same, there is no different; there is no permanent self, there is no annihilation. We only think there is. When we understand that we cannot be destroyed, we are liberated from fear,. It is a greaat relief. Wse can enjoy life and appreciate it in a new way."
[more tomorrow]

No comments:

Post a Comment