Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Breast, the Lung, and the Tick

After my diagnosis of breast cancer and the mastectomy on Nov. 4, I opted for breast replacement surgery which begins the day of the surgery with the placement of a tissue expander next to my chest wall.  Then over months saline is injected until the skin expands enough for the transplantation of my own abdominal tissue and blood vessels as a new breast.

As a result of the diagnosis I also underwent a bone and a tissue scan.  Around Thanksgiving my oncologist called to tell me there was a spot on my lung that was probably nothing but required a lung biopsy.  I went back to Sloan-Kettering for the biopsy Dec. 4.  The radiologist confessed that he and the staff had been totally puzzled by the image on the scan and had no real idea what they were dealing with.  It appeared as a ghostly image, totally translucent... Right before sending me to sleep I asked what his hunch was.  He told me it was probably small cell lung cancer....and off I drifted...

Home later that night I looked up what that meant..it meant survival of 2 years.

Saturday Dec. 5 I got my hair cut very short in anticipation for my first chemo treatment Monday Dec. 6th.  I was in such fear that ( I thought) I began to get cold sweats... 

Monday I went off to my first chemo treatment.  The nurse inserted the IV and showed me the door where i would receive the first influsion.  Just then the oncologist entered and said that there would be no chemo, that the biopsy revealed that it was indeed lung cancer.

She took out the IV and sat me down.  It was NOT small cell lung cancer.  I was positively giddy at the reprieve.  Then she told me that it was probably metastatic breast cancer that had traveled to my lung.  I asked her what that meant in terms of survival.  She said with luck, 5-10 years.   The other "good news" I received is that chemo was now out of the question for me.  I will be treated by hormone therapy since this breast cancer is very very sensitive to the use of hormone cessation pills to stop any new tumor growth.

Tuesday Dec. 8 I ran a fever and felt terrible.  Flu-like virus, I thought.....No further news from the biopsy all week.

Sat. morning I woke to find my involved breast turning reddish.  I waited until 10 pm to check it again.  It was bright red and swelling.  I called the plastic surgeon who instructed me to pack a bag for 3 days and get to the Sloan-Kettering ER immediately.  I had cellulitis, an infection of the skin, common when a foreign object (the chest tissue expander) is placed into the body.  1 in 5 women getting reconstructive ssurgery get this condition.

By Tues, my condition had worsened.  No antibiotic could stop the infection and I ran a fever continuously.  I needed another surgery which I had by 4 pm.  They took out the tissue expander, flushed the infection.....
I then spent 5 days recovering on heavy IV antibiotics.

But consider this---but for the lung cancer, I would have had that first shot of chemo which would have significantly decreased my infestion-fighting white bood cells.  And unbenownst to anyone, I already had a raging internal infection of cellulitis inside me. They told me that my healthy immune system really dug in and protected me until I got to the hospital.  That shot would have been fatal to me in trying to stave off the infection, or at least led to an ICU-level infection.

Wed. the lung cancer surgeon stopped by to introduce himself to me.  He had preliminary results from the biopsy.  It was NOT metastatic breast cancer.  It was a sneaky early stage lung cancer probably from 2nd hand smoke from all the years in my father's house.  Since it is translucent, it cannot be found on any x-ray.  It only shows up on a body scan.  Which you are only given if you already have cancer.  I asked what would have happened if it had not been for the scan spotting it.  He said it would have grown until it would have caused symptoms, andby then it would be too late. IOW, but for the breast cancer we would never have found the lung cancer....

He told me that I would have surgery this Jan. to get rid of it, then follwed by pills that will stop it from any further impact on my health.  The surgery is done robotically thru 3 small cuts.  I go home after 2-3 days with 3 band aids.

And then there was the tick.

On Wed. night as I prepared to shower, I thought I spotted a caraway seed on my arm.  Except it was a tick.  I knew how to get them out which I did, and then demanded preventative medicine.  The next day they brought in a beautiful Lab dog to sniff out the room.  Emma is the hospital's official bedbug and tick detector.  No new ticks.

Tonight is Friday and I leave tomorrow at 10 am for home.

I have written this quickly and without analysis of the stage and state shifts I have gone through this week.

Your prayers and good intentions helped save me this week.  I will add the spiritual context in a later post, but I wanted to get this up and public.

Blessings to you all.

12 comments:

  1. Lynne, so sorry you have been through one trial after another. Am I reading this right, though, that your news has taken a turn for the better? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of you every day dear Lynne. I send light and life to you. I know that you will come through all this travail, stronger and returned to great good health. You have way too much to achieve on this earth.

    With love,
    mandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn,how wonderful it is that you see the light shining through in the midst of this cancer-ride. Your upbeat sense of humor is obvious and I am delighting in your antedotes about the daily task of living with your new "friend." Love yourself, love your body, and yes, even love this circumstance. God is not particular about where the light comes through! Love you!!!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you sharing your experiences so deeply. Please continue to improve and making a difference on this planet.

    Love,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for all of your comments. There was far too much happening moment to moment for me to write about it while in the midst of the huge wave that carried me along. After some contemplation I'll add my thoughts about what happened to/with/through me.

    Yes, Julie, both cancers can be contained/destroyed by pills. No chemo for me, not after winning the "cancer lottery" as one lung surgeon called it. Both are amenable to pill therapy, and as I sit here finally at home I have a month before the lung cancer surgery. I think Sloan-Kettering out to give me frequent flyer points or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so appreciate this blog. The raw authenticity and spiritual depth of your writing is spectacular, beloved Lynne! Millions of hugs and kisses till I see you next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynne, Thanks for your courage and transparency. Your total matter-of-factness and lack of victim-hood remind me of the way Ken has always talked about and handled in his own illness. Like Ken, you are a role model and an inspiration.Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn, what a journey. And to hell with analyzing stage and state shifts when you are deeply involved in both.

    I still remember you so vividly from various Spiral Dynamics workshops. In fact, "dynamic" is the first word I would use to describe you.

    Sending you much love and healing light. I have no doubt but that this, too, will be a vehicle of transformation for you. I would that it could be as painless and joyous a process as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Lynne,
    Thank you for your clear sharing of your world-altering experience. Sending you many healing and supportive thoughts. Vivian.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A tick? How bizarre! Your blog is a blessing, Lynne. I am going through my own struggles with health and was reading Reggie Ray. He writes: "That’s why it is said in the Tibetan Yoga traditions that the body actually holds our own enlightenment. Until we are willing to live through some of the wealth of information and emotions that have been offered to us but rejected, our awareness remains tied up and restricted. The way they put it in the tradition is that the experience of working with the body unlocks memories and images and emotions that become fuel. This fuel creates a fire in us, a fire of all the vivid and intense pain held by these previously rejected aspects of experience. That pain is a fire that gradually burns up the structure of our ego--it is a visceral inferno. It is said that this inferno purifies awareness and makes the field of awareness very, very bright. The more we do the work, the more our awareness actually opens up. According to the early tradition, enlightenment itself is when the fuel is all used up. Awareness, no longer tied up in evasionary tactics, is set free and liberated to its full extent."
    Wishing you much fire and light, from tick-filled PA!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Aleta,

    You have expressed through Reggie Ray's lessons my own lived experience. Repeatedly I am shocked by the difference between trusting in the 3rd person perspective and being plunged into direct 1st person perspective. "You mean this really turns out to be true?" I find myself thinking. Objectivity melts in the furnace of experience.
    BTW--the tick was not a deer tick, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete